Thursday, May 29, 2008


Our Seattle trip was amazing! Chris and I have not been on a vacation alone since our honeymoon so it was good to get away as a couple.
We left Friday morning. We got on the plane and prepared for take off when an engine light went on. So they brought us back in and "fixed" the engine and we prepared for take off again. No go. The engine was not working so we had to switch planes. 2 hours later we arrived in Seattle.
First on our list was Pikes Place Market. I am not sure what I was expecting, but I was let down by the market. The famous fish throwers were not throwing the fish around like I have seen on tv and like everybody told me they would. The market was crowded and it smelled. But one side of the market was lined with fresh flowers that were being made into bouquets and sold. I would have loved to buy some but I didn't really have a reason or a place to put them. We then went to dinner at Zeeks Pizza and it was wonderful.
Saturday we went to Chateau St. Michelle and toured their winery. The winery was not operating that day and some event was taking place so half of the winery we couldn't see. But the grounds that we did see were gorgeous and the tour was very informational. After the tour we ate lunch at Texas BBQ. We ate outside and had some good grub. Then we went to the Kobuta Gardens which are nestled in a neighborhood on a hill. The grounds were beautiful and the flowers were gorgeous. The garden had tons of different trails and paths and I'm sure we missed half of it. We then did the Underground Seattle Tour and learned the history of the city. We asked our tour guide where we should eat dinner and we followed his suggestion. We found the Palace Kitchen downtown. We did not fit in at this restaurant, it was like a swanky martini bar. The food was good though, but I felt dumb sitting there.
Sunday was spent whale watching. We drove about 2 hours north of Seattle to Anacortes. 20 minutes into the tour we saw whales. This rarely happens, it can sometimes take hours before they see them. We followed them for 2 hours then broke off and explored the San Juan Islands. We saw eagles, starfish and otters. Our captain then got word that the same whales we were following were not far from us. So we caught up with them and spent another 30 minutes with them. The sight of the whales was amazing. They are giant creatures, yet so beautiful. Besides marrying my best friend whale watching is the coolest thing I have ever done and I would love to do it again!
On Monday we toured Safeco field and we even got to go in the owners suite, The owner of the Seattle Mariners is the man who owns Nintendo. Our tour guide said that he has owned the team for about 10 years, but has never visited Seattle or the field. We did some more touring of the city and then we watched the Boston Red Sox play the Seattle Mariners. The Sox won and the game was very cool to watch!
Then came Tuesday..back to reality. We didn't get to do half of the things that we wanted to so we are planning on going back in the next couple years. It was a great trip, lots of fun and I am very glad that we got to experience Seattle!


Snell Family said...

Looks like you had lots of fun. The tulips are gorgeous. That's awesome you were able to see whales because I've heard that a lot of times you don't get to see any. We'll have to hang out now that you're "single" for 3 weeks. Just give me a call if you want to go and do something.

Michelle said...

It does look like you had a SUPER fantastic time!! I love the pics!! =D I can't believe that you were able to see whales!! Holy coolness!! I'm SO jealous!! Would you do it all over again?? so, if you get bored, just give me a call and we'll hang out!! =)

Angela said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Don't you just love it there? It is so beautiful! Seeing your pictures made me miss it...I'm ready for another vacation already!