Friday, September 2, 2011

I quit my job!

On Monday morning I quit my job! I will officially become a Stay At Home Mom on September 16th! I am excited. I am scared. I am nervous.

This was not an easy decision to make and took months (and years) of thinking and praying, but was made when we found out that our daycare lady took another job at the elementary school down the street and wouldn't be able to watch Conner anymore.

I have been very unhappy since having Conner and having to work. And someday we will have another child and I'm sure I would've been very unhappy leaving two kids to work. Being unhappy has taken a toll on me and I just decided enough was enough.

I'm not going to lie, I'm excited to not work anymore. I won't miss having a boss, waking up early to go to work, driving 30 minutes in traffic twice a day or clocking out for lunch. I'm excited to spend my day with Conner and to teach him things and to finally be able to take care of him. I'm also scared to do this! I'm scared that we might lose our house, that we won't have money and that due to my anxiety I will be afraid to go out in the world with Conner and will stay inside all day. I think it will be weird to not have to work. I have had a job since I was 15 years old and have always had my own money and provided for myself or my family. Now it's up to Chris and that puts a lot of pressure on him! Chris just told me that I need to raise Conner, keep the house clean and make dinner! Sounds easy, but we will see!

So there's my thoughts and feelings. Not everyone has been happy or agreed with the choice that Chris and I have made, but I have to try staying at home. And if it doesn't work out, maybe I will get a night job or something!

13 comments:

Winston and Adrienne said...

That is SO exciting Amber!! It's a tough decision but a worthy one! Leaps of faith can be scary but if you feel it's the right thing, then it is! I am still feeling sick but when I feel better we will hangout!

Amanda said...

Just know you have fellow SAHMs that will help you out. Congrats on this new journey!

Snell Family said...

How can someone NOT be happy for you, you get to do the most important job there is, raise Conner. I'm happy for you and know it was a leap of faith and you'll do great!

Melanie said...

Breathe Amber. You'll be okay, I promise. Whatever support you aren't receiving from other people, you'll get elsewhere. Like, from me. And clearly a lot of other people who have already commented.

I'm not saying that your work away from home was unimportant. But this is a totally different kind of important. I'm really excited for your family.

And as for Chris' comment: yeah, it's totally easy (eye roll).

The Deviny's said...

I am so happy for you! How could someone not be happy for you!? You will be a great SAHM! My suggestions would be to either sign Conner up for some classes (music, gym, etc.) or join playgroups (or meet with friends). That way you will be forced out of the house and Conner will be around kids his own age and you around parents who know what it's like to have a kid that age :)
It's a hard job. The hardest I've ever had.
Honestly, don't expect that you will have the house cleaned everyday or a nice dinner on the table, as some days there just won't be time. But do take the time to enjoy watching Conner grow and learn!

Ariel said...

I am so happy for you friend! And a little jealous...and sad that I won't see you anymore at work. I think this is going to be the right move for you and everything is going to work out. I hope someday I too can join the SAHM club.

Brett and Sydnie said...

Thats great Amber! I am sure you will be happier, but they are going to seriously suffer without you at TOSH.

Thueson Family :) said...

Couldn't agree more with what has already been discussed! I am just THRILLED for you!! It is the BEST job ever, trying at times, but SO worth it! Best of luck and if there is anything you need or anything I can do, I am always here and will do whatever I can! :) Love ya!

SaRah G. said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so excited for you! I won't lie... it is hard being a stay at home mom! But so worth it in the end. You are going to love it. Enjoy your new journey!!!!

Amber said...

Thank you all for your kinds words and support! This is going to be an adventure!

Tommy + Monica said...

that is so awesome & I am so jealous! Enjoy your time as a mommy!

Tara said...

I'm so excited, happy and jealous for you! You are going to do a great job. Work is for the birds ;) Being a stay at home mom though would be pretty sweet!

Charlotte said...

Yeah Amber!! I know it is scary. I was scared when I quit my job, wondering what I would do all day after working for so long. Then I had the baby Haha. I knew Ryan would be able to support us, but we are poor, but I wouldn't trade it for anything! And no it isn't easy but definitley worth it!!